Tuesday, February 1, 2011

How I Got Over the Car

Dana here.  Ok, so it's been a while.  A LONG while.  I have been pondering many things during our little break...most of all, how I feel now that we've been car-less for nearly three months.  In the last few weeks, I've realized something amazing; I'M OVER IT!  I am so over scraping off, warming up, and trying to navigate a car on snowy streets.  I am over paying nearly $3.50/gallon for gas and feeling angry about supporting big oil companies.  I am over worrying about inspections, repairs, registrations, and licenses.  It is liberating to NOT own a car.

I came to this conclusion slowly.  I used to be all about the car, even for short trips.  I loved the fact that I could be protected from the elements, and yet failed to see that the car was also "protecting" me from many interactions with my environment, my neighbors, and my city.  Now, as I walk (and yes, some winter days I still bike) around town, I get to see Buffalo from a different perspective, and on a human scale.  Does it take me a little while longer to get places?  Sure!  But I use that time to reflect and come up with ideas.  I am much more peaceful than I used to be, not to mention healthier!

I have taken the city bus for the first time, learned to ride the Metro rail, and used CarShare on a handful of occasions when we have to run many errands or buy heavy things.  There really is a decent network of public transportation in this town, if only people learned to use it.  I will gladly take you on a "guided tour", just let me know.

It's Jon writing!  When we first sold our car, I was already open to the idea of other modes of transport, including bike, bus and train.  Since we weren't using the car that often, but biking a lot, it didn't seem like too drastic a change.  Through these months, I've biked when possible, but some days it's too cold/windy, or we need more than we can carry in our bike trailer.  On those days, we ride the bus, take the train, or use CarShare.  During our most recent trip to 464 Gallery, we chose the bus, and I was impressed with the speed at which we arrived.  We passed Guercio's on Grant Street, and I realized how simple it would be to make a grocery run up there.

When I'm on my bike, I have a chance to think and be solitary.  Riding frequently has made me healthier and more motivated to exercise in other ways.  I get a sense of satisfaction knowing that the energy that I'm expending comes only from my body and the healthy, organic food I eat to fuel it.

It's exciting to see how many people have taken an interest in our experiences.  We now know that is is more than just possible to live without a car, but it's GREAT!  There are so many resources and people who have helped us in small and large ways.  We encourage all of you to take small steps, like riding the bus, walking instead of driving to a restaurant, or biking on sunny days when the roads are clear.  You will surprise yourself. 

4 comments:

  1. This is AWESOME, guys, thanks for checking back in with your progress! Do you mind if I link to this in a blog post? (I'll mention you guys, of course.) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you guys! February is a tough month to still be happy about a decision to be carless. Keep it up, your bodies and mind will appreciate the slower pace. It really is a whole different world to walk \ bike through Buffalo than to drive. So much to appreciate and enjoy in every block. All those things that become incomprehensible at 30 mph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan, feel free to link! Would appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete