Monday, December 6, 2010

It's A Wonderful Bike!

Dana here!  The question I get asked the most when I tell people we sold our car is "What are you going to do when it snows?".  Well, first I will build an igloo.  Then I'll climb into it and hibernate for 5 months.  Just kidding.  If you guessed "suck it up and bike anyway", you were right!  Jon and I have been preparing for our winter bike adventure by acquiring gear bit by bit along the way...such as gloves for him, a new taillight for me, etc.  It is a bit daunting when you look out the window and those fat lake effect snowflakes are falling...but with preparation and caution, it's totally do-able.

One really important element is making sure one's neck and face are covered.  I have a good winter jacket that I've been wearing, but even zipped up all the way, air gets in.  Solution?  A neck gaiter!  Jon decided to make them for us, using felted wool sweaters and our sewing machine (that we got for free via Craigslist last year!).  So, he laid out the fabric, measured my face and neck, and got to sewing.  With some iron-on velcro, it's a simple matter of wrapping the gaiter around your face and fastening.

That wasn't all, though.  My little fingers have been getting cold as I bike, wearing thin velvet gloves.  Jon decided to keep his crafty pants on, and make me some mittens, too!  Now I'm all rainbows with my handmade winter wear.  Toasty!

As far as the actual bike RIDING in this weather, I have to say- it's not as scary as I expected. It will take a little getting used to, but I feel better on a bike than I do in a car when it's snowy.  I allow for extra braking time, as the brakes can get wet.  Also, I'm careful when riding over a slushy median/tire track...I've learned to take it slow to keep my wheels under me.  Finally, I'm using my lights!  The low visibility of a winter day means drivers may not be able to see me as well.  I keep them on the flash setting, and added a little reflective tape to my bike and helmet for extra safety.

With some preparation, you'll see that in Buffalo, "It's a Wonderful Bike!"  :)  Happy holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment